Aah who am I kidding? Sinless and saintly? Since when could Hot Chocolate be anything but devilishly decadent!
With Winter spluttering it’s cold frosty breath in our faces, it’s important to fight back. And what better way than with a dreamy cup of something smooth, silky, chocolaty and creamy. Oh go on, make mine a grande!
But before you go to grab that tub of ghastly synthetic stuff pumped full of sugar, thickeners, preservatives, flavourants and colourants. Why not have a bash at making your own? It’s easier than you think…
Here’s my take on a chocolaty, LCHF (low carb high fat for those of you living under a rock) cup of perfection, good enough to make several times a day, I mean, several nights a week!
Heavenly Hot Chocolate
Makes 2 cups
2 cups of full cream organic milk
4 tsp cocoa powder
4 tsp xylitol or honey (or sweeten to taste)
1 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp instant coffee
2 blocks of dark chocolate (I prefer Lindt 90%)
– You can halve or double the recipe to match your required servings.
– In a saucepan add all your ingredients and turn on the stove to a medium-high heat.
– Using a small whisk gently stir the mixture until everything starts to melt and dissolve.
– Don’t laugh at my miniature whisk.
– Make sure to watch that it doesn’t boil or bubble over, or start to stick to the bottom of the pan by stirring constantly. Aim for a nice active steamy simmer coming off the milk rather than a boil.
– Once it’s reached the desired temperature, ideally just before bubbles begin to boil, pour the elixir into cups and top with whipped cream if it’s been one of “those” days. Or just drink it all straight out the pot, I would understand.