First off, please admire the magnificence that is the little squiggle above the n on jalapeño. It took me forever to find it on the keyboard, and I’m quite proud of myself.
Thank you. Now onto the recipe…
Why, hello there…
Do I really have to say anything else?
It’s such a great zingy little recipe and a real crowd pleaser, and totally customizable so you can make them as spicy or as mild as you like, and even pimp up each individual roulade to the preference of each person, or omit the chilli all together. But life really wouldn’t be worth living without a little spice in it, right?
So here’s the recipe, it’s a rough guide, so feel free to change it up to your personal preferences.
Jalapeño Chicken Roulade
Carb Status: GREEN
4 free-range chicken breasts
8 rashers of streaky bacon
1 – 2 whole finger-sized jalapeno peppers (depending on preferred heat)
1 clove garlic
2 Tbl cream cheese
1/2 cup grated mozzarella
1 Tbl butter
Salt & pepper to taste
– Preheat the oven to 180C.
– Lay your chicken breasts out on a chopping board, and using a mallet or a rolling pin, gently bash them flat and even in thickness. Aim for a gentle spank rather than obliterating them into smithereens all over the chopping board. Somewhere between about a pinky finger thickness, not too thin otherwise they will tear, but not too thick otherwise they won’t fold into parcels very easily.
I use a rolling pin with a sandwich bag over it to save the hassle of disinfecting it after all the raw chicken bashing. I’m sorry that it looks like an example of family planning in a life skills class… It’s really not.
– Line a baking tray with tin foil, and lay out your flattened chicken breasts, seasoning with salt and pepper on both sides.
– Chop up the jalapeno chillies and mince the garlic, and keep separate if you want to add an individual amount of chilli or omit completely.
– In a mixing bowl combine the cream cheese, grated mozzarella, butter and salt & pepper and mix well with a fork until it forms a chunky paste.
– OK, so I used a spoon…
– I added my chilli and garlic straight into the mix because in this house nobody gets a choice – “you eata ze chilli or you leava ze house!” I’m kind and considerate that way…
– Next spoon the cheesy mixture into the middle of the chicken breast and press into a compact shape. Spread the desired amount of chilli and garlic over the cheese mix, or omit the chilli for those that don’t like things spicy. Ag, shame.
– Roll up the chicken into a parcel. There all snug as a bug in… er, a piece of raw chicken.
– Using two pieces of bacon wrap around the chicken to enclose the filling and make a parcel.
– Place the chicken parcels back onto the baking tray, and bake in the preheated oven for 30 – 40 minutes, or until the bacon is crispy and the chicken is cooked through.
Come to Mama!