How to make Asian-style Cauli Rice
In the beginning you feel very sorry for yourself thinking that entire cultures and their cuisine are now off limits to those of us following a low-carb diet. Like Chinese, Indian and Thai food. What is Asian cooking without the famous accompaniment of rice right?
Well I say “Bah Humbug” to all that! Us Low-Carbers are nothing if not resourceful…
Asian-Style Cauli Rice
1 head of cauliflower – stalk and all, just remove the leaves
1/2 an onion, finely chopped
1 small garlic clove
1 tsp sesame seeds
1/4 tsp red chilli flakes
1 Tbl butter
1Tbl olive oil
1 Tbl desiccated coconut
2 Tbl finely chopped spring onions
1 tsp good-quality soya sauce (optional)
– In a food processor with the grating attachment or grate on the large-hole side of a cheese grater the entire head of cauliflower including the stalk.
– Finely chop or even just grate the onion and garlic into the cauliflower.
– In a large frying pan, heat your olive oil and butter till it’s nice and hot. Don’t add the cauliflower too soon, otherwise it will release it’s moisture and broil rather than fry and the texture will be a bit spongy. So let the pan get nice and hot first.
– Once the olive oil and butter start to bubble add the grated cauliflower, onion and garlic mixture in batches, you don’t want to crowd the pan otherwise it won’t cook through evenly.
– Add the chilli flakes, sesame seeds and coconut and continue frying and flipping with a spatula until it just starts to get some colour. Watch that it doesn’t burn though. Go for nipped brown edges rather than black char.
– You may need to add some more butter and oil as you go if you find the pan is drying out after the first batch.
– Towards the end of cooking time toss in the soya sauce and chopped spring onions and cook for the last few minutes.
– You can either serve straight away, or store in the fridge for a later meal. It freezes really well too. When you want to use it, just defrost and give a quick toss through in a hot pan and some fresh butter and it’s good to go.