No I haven’t actually stopped shaving all together of course. Gosh I’d probably get my ankles all tangled up and fall flat on my face if I actually let my leg hair grow. I’m a hippy, but I’m not that natural! But I have stopped using those awful plasticy neon puke-pink razors with refill blades that require you to apply for a home loan to pay for them! Wouldn’t it be nice to have something more classy, something that adds a touch of style to my self-care routine…
Well I finally found it! It’s beautifully crafted and sits solid and sturdy in my hand. Using it with such careful attentiveness to the job at hand really elevates the experience to what all acts of self-care moments should really be like. Plus it’s completely plastic free, and the refill blades are so affordable. No more cheap-looking yet over priced plastic razors for me. I have found my forever razor, and every time I shave it has become an act of self-love not just another hurried chore to get done.
But if like me you feel a bit daunted by using actual razor-blades, fear not. You won’t be slicing any major arteries, the eco razor also known as a safety razor is called just that for a reason! So here are a few tips to help you make the transition:
- Exfoliate before hand – This gets rid of all the dead skin cells and loosens up any potential ingrown hairs, letting you get a really close shave that will last longer
- Use a good foamy soap – I love Simply Bee Beeswax soap as it lathers up into a meringue-like foam, similar to shaving cream but it’s all-natural, cruelty-free AND zero-waste biodegradable packaging!
- Moisturise well afterwards to nourish your skin and soften it to prevent ingrown hairs
- Go carefully over boney areas such as ankles and knees as these are areas of tighter skin are more prone to razor nicks
- Rinse your razor well after use and store it somewhere dry. It’s stainless steel so shouldn’t rust, but leaving it submerged in water or stuck to a soap bar will wear down the blade
- Admire how smooth and silky everything feels. It’s the closest shave you’ll have had in a long time!