These are a favourite addition to any lunch box/padkos/picnic/party food around our house. They’re all the convenience of a burger, with none of the bun nonsense, yet the ingredients stay perfectly intact, wherever they might go. And with the amount of bushwhacking we do on a weekly basis, we need food that travels very well!
So the next time you need something to fill your picnic basket, whip these up.
Carb Status: GREEN
4 burger patties
2 whole tomatoes or half cup cherry tomatoes
8 slices of hard cheese (cheddar,gouda or mozzarella etc)
1 cup lettuce, rocket leaves or baby spinach
6 slices of streaky bacon
4 pepperdews or roasted peppers
8 – 10 mushrooms, halved & cooked
– Cook the burger patties whichever way you prefer. Either by frying them, on a baking sheet in an oven or on the braai. Whatever cooks your burger. Literally.
– Cook the bacon in the same pan after the burgers, or alongside them in the oven. Whatever cooks your bacon. Literally.
– Now comes the fancy chefy part. There are two options – The first, is only because I was desperate to find another purpose for my scone cutter, and this is now it’s new job. Cutting out perfect little rings in burger patties to make perfect little burger bites. If you want to impress with a bit of effort, then go this route.
– Otherwise, the quick, straightforward way would be to just cut the burger into quarters.
– Wash all the veg-related ingredients, and slice them to the same size as your burger bits.
– Line up all your ingredients into little organised rows because you’re a desperate house wife with nothing better to do. That, and it also makes it a nice easy assembly line for the burger bite production. Economy of movement is what it’s all about!
– Get large wooden kebab sticks and either snap them in half for a quick little stress release, or if you’d prefer to continue on the perfectionist theme, then cut them neatly and evenly with a knife.
– Then string all your ingredients one-by-one onto the halved skewers.
– Bacon -lettuce – tomato – burger bite – lettuce – cheese – pepperdew – tomato – mushroom.
– Tomato – lettuce – bacon – burger bite – lettuce – mushroom – tomato – cheese – bacon
Mushroom – tomato – burger bite – bacon – pepperdew – cheese – lettuce – bacon – tomato
OK, so you get the idea. String them up in whatever combination you like.
I know it’s 9:30pm, but I suddenly feel like making these and rushing outside to scoff them on the lawn. Is that weird? No, I thought not either.